Pages

Sunday 19 April 2020

..+<>Area and Perimeter<>+..

..-------------...
So for the past 5 days we've been doing learning in maths based around area and perimeter.
On Wednesday and Thursday we had assignments to do perimeter and area worksheets and then when we've finished those we did a Digital Learning Object  using area and perimeter. 
what we had to do was draw out our house and measure all of the rooms (the area of the house) and the outside of the house (the perimeter of the house.) here's what I've done.
We are currently building a house so I've kind of seen what house plans tend to look like, but this is  of the house we're living in.  I used a bunch of colours for this, not that the rooms actually are those colours, I just used colours that reminded me of those rooms in the house, like how the kitchen has colours of yellow and green, I did those colours because their the colour of my favourite pasta (fettuccine.) 
I started of sketching my room then I was basically running around the house looking at how the  rooms were exactly so could try and draw them exact, when I was finished  drawing the house I showed my mum and she said it was good except one thing, I had drawn the office in the wrong  space so there ended up being an empty room! but mum said that that empty room I had drawn was where the office really was, so I had a quick examine of the office and she was right so I sketched and adjusted the room mistake then came back to my mum and showed her, I was finished with my sketch so I compared it with the real house plan and it seemed pretty correct. 

after I drew the house out digitally on google draw, my mum helped me measure all the rooms and then I had to times that area, which was the hard part. but my dad taught me a strategy of how to work it out it took a couple of tries but I finally got it, I would check to see if my answers were right with a calculator and if not mum would come and checked the answers and go through explaining that I had done wrong. I got the hang of it but I kept making mistakes like doing 0x4= 4 when it was 0 and I also often made this mistake: 3x3=6 when its 9 because I kept on forgetting its multiplication and not addition. I did that by hand but then it came to adding up all the rooms to find the total of the whole house area (not including the hallway thought.) I used a calculator for that one. For the perimeter mum helped me measure the outside wall then helped figure out the strategy, I ended up adding the total perimeter of the whole house by myself with only using a calculator to check if I was right but I did it by hand because finding the perimeter, to me it was easier that finding the area.

I am proud that I challenged my self to work out  these maths problems that I would of seen as hard and challenging and they were challenging but know how to do them.  I 'm happy I worked out these maths problems by hand,  (only for the area total I had used a calculator.) but now I know two new strategy's. this was a really cool project to do and very fun.

Total area of house (not including the hallway.): 98.4005 m2
Total Perimeter of house: 48.184 m

2 comments:

  1. Wow Piper, what an awesome blog post. I love the way that you have reflected on your learning. How awesome are your parents, you need to give them a big hi-5 from me for being amazing at home teachers! I am so happy with the progress you are making in your maths, well done on challenging yourself and producing an outstanding DLO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete